hist-brewing: Heather

Kel Rekuta krekuta at attcanada.ca
Sun Oct 29 15:54:11 PST 2000

adam larsen wrote:

>     If my memory serves me well LD Carlson charges 2
> dollars per two ounce pack which comes  to sixteen per
> pound.  The difference is that LD Carlson sells Calluna
> vulgaris and they sell just the tips which is the only
> part of the flower that is useful.  I think that some
> clarification is needed as to weather Nancy at Wild Weed
> is selling the whole flower cut and sifted as most herbs
> are sold or just the tips.  Also, i don't know if the two
> different species are qualitatively the same.  These
> matters should be clarified before one makes any
> definitive conclusion.
>     I have used LD Carlson's heather tips with great
> success for half a dozen batches so i can vouch for them
> in this instance.  The other gruit herbs (ex. sweet gale,
> marsh rosemary, gentian, mugwort etc.) Wild Herbs provides
> excellent quality at extremely good prices.  The
> difference in the cost of  the Myrica Gale provided by
> Carlson and Wild Weeds is simply dramatic with the product
> being identical so i will go with the later for a great
> many gruit herbs.
>
> Juleigha wrote:
>
>> I contacted wldweeds at humboldt1.com regarding heather as
>> someone had
>> suggested, this was the reply I received:
>>
>> Heather flower whole, Erica vulgaris $15.00 per pound. I
>> do not have this in
>> stock and would have to order and sell the whole pound.
>> If, however, enough
>> people want this particular herb, I would be willing to
>> stock it for the
>> Ale-makers. Please let me know if this is the one you
>> want. (You are the 2nd
>> person to ask for it in as many days - a few more and
>> I'll stock it, if it's
>> the one you want).
>> Nancy
>>
>> Does this sound like a good price or is it high?  If it
>> is a good price and
>> you are interested in having her stock it, please let
>> her know.

I'd be willing to buy a pound of it as I use 4 oz in every
batch. However, $15 USD ( I presume) is not a great price.
Okay, but not great. LD Carlson's Heather tips are a freeze
dried version of the tips used in Historic Ales' Fraoch.
See http://www.heatherale.co.uk/html/main.html

I am enjoying  a batch of heather ale at this moment. I use
a little myrica gale and UK pale ale malt only. OG is about
1.048, hard water and Irish ale yeast. Does the trick.....

I would like to make a heavier ale more like the Fraoch, but
I don't seem to get the fragrance out of the dried tips.
Perhaps flowers only would be more aromatic? I grow a tiny
bit of heather in the garden, but not enough for brewing.
(yet!) The flowers are very fragrant but not bitter at all.
The tips are. There is likely good reason for using tips
whole.

YMMV,

Kel