Dan McFeeley mcfeeley at keynet.net
Fri Oct 27 09:06:14 PDT 2000

At 04:00 AM 10/27/00 -0700, Al K. wrote:

>I faintly recall reading somewhere that there is a mould or fungus
>that grows in heather blossoms.  I believe it is called "fog" or
>something like that.  I've read where it should be removed before
>the heather is used for brewing.  There's something about that fog
>that is supposed to be intoxicating or hallucinogenic.

Bruce Williams wrote about fogg, or moss in heather tips in his Zymurgy
article titled "Leann Fraoch -- Scottish Heather Ale" (_Zymurgy Special
Issue_ 17, no. 4 1994, p. 24).  Steve Buhner in _Sacred and Herbal Healing
Beers_ also refers to Williams' article in his section on heather and
heather meads (pp. 31-32).  Apparently Williams sent samples of heather
tips to a botanist and brewing chemist, Keith Thomas.  Thomas noted that
the fogg had "narcotic and mildly hallucinogenic properties" (Buhner,
p. 32) and should be washed off the heather tips prior to use in making
fermented beverages.  No further details were given by either author.

Dan McFeeley
mcfeeley at keynet.net