Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Fri Oct 27 06:52:49 PDT 2000

Hi Al! Greetings from Deutschland!

I haven't heard the name "fog", but these sites list an ergot-like fungus
that supposedly produces that effect.

See http://www.hbd.org/hogtown/news/2000jul/psychoactiveBeer.html
http://byo.com/00jul/feature.html and
http://hubris.engin.umich.edu:8080/Beer/Threads/Threads/thread.966551520.html
ht
tp://www.beer.com/news/bee/bee/2000/07/01/962425229017.html

I just came across this recipe in "John Evelyn, Cook", an excellent new
book containing the manuscript recipe book of John Evelyn (1620-1706).
ISBN 0907325653

"#225 Heath Ale.  Lady Mordaunt [d. 1679]
To a qr of Malt take so much water as may be proportionable to make five
barrells of midling Ale and brew it after the usuall manner of ordinary Ale
covering it when you Mash it up with about a peck of wheat Bran and instead
of hops boyle in yr liquor six good handfulls of heath gathered when it is
in flowr (which being dried may be kept for use all the year) and three qrs
of a pound of good ginger bruised let yr Ale be with these engredients very
well boyled and sett it to work when cold Tunn it and stop it as other Ale.

Excellent
Dorcasse seed is very good in Ale instead of Hopps both holsome and pleasant."

Dorcasse seed is Daucus carota (wild carrot, Queen Anne's lace).

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow
cindy at thousandeggs.com
Recipes"