hist-brewing: herbal hop replacement

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Wed Oct 25 21:34:28 PDT 2000

PBLoomis at aol.com wrote:

> > In a message dated 10/25/2000 4:28:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> euphonic at flash.net (adam larsen) writes:
> >
> >  > >  Besides, considering the rush
> >  >  >  on the part of hop producers to make ever higher alpha verities for
> >  >  >  economic reasons I would not be surpassed if within the next 10
> years
> > if
> >  >  >  many of the hop types beloved of home brewers disappear from the
> >  >  >  market.  Even worse is that some of the new hop types don't even have
> >  >  >  particularly good flavoring or aroma elements. Considering the
> > minuscule
> >  >  >  percentage of the hop market taken by home brewers combined with the
> >  >  >  relentless progression of the economies of scale this seems a
> > reasonable
> >  >  >  scenario.
> >
> In a message dated 10/25/00 8:25:39 AM Central Daylight Time, Owenbrau writes:
>
> >  Being in the industry, I'm not seeing this. Yes, there are new, high alpha
> > varieties being developed all the time, but new flavor and aroma strains
> are
> > also being developed; witness ultra (hallertau variant), centennial (high
> > acid and great flavor). The classics, like East Kent Golding, are also
> still
> > going strong.

    Well this is certainly encouraging and i hope it is correct.  I would hate to
see verities like Strisselspat and Brambling Cross go by the way side.  With any
luck i have been misinformed.
    Oh, by the way, a few people have inquired about a "wild hop" what the
German's call "Berghopfen" or mountain hop.  It is in fact the herb Horehound
(Marrubium vulgare) which is, to my taste any way, a rather astringent and medical
tasting bittering agent.  I know that some of my German friends use it but Gentian
or Wood Sage (Teucium sorodonia) are far better herbs as they mellow faster, have
little after taste and better aromatic qualities as well.  I know that several
wild hop types that exist that are not cultivated but i have yet to try them.
Does any one out their have any experience with wild hop verities?