hist-brewing: Heather

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Wed Oct 25 21:18:00 PDT 2000

    If my memory serves me well LD Carlson charges 2 dollars per two
ounce pack which comes  to sixteen per pound.  The difference is that LD
Carlson sells Calluna vulgaris and they sell just the tips which is the
only part of the flower that is useful.  I think that some clarification
is needed as to weather Nancy at Wild Weed is selling the whole flower
cut and sifted as most herbs are sold or just the tips.  Also, i don't
know if the two different species are qualitatively the same.  These
matters should be clarified before one makes any definitive conclusion.
    I have used LD Carlson's heather tips with great success for half a
dozen batches so i can vouch for them in this instance.  The other gruit
herbs (ex. sweet gale, marsh rosemary, gentian, mugwort etc.) Wild Herbs
provides excellent quality at extremely good prices.  The difference in
the cost of  the Myrica Gale provided by Carlson and Wild Weeds is
simply dramatic with the product being identical so i will go with the
later for a great many gruit herbs.