hist-brewing: Renfrow on gruit ales

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Mon Oct 23 16:45:00 PDT 2000

Owenbrau at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/23/2000 6:34:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> euphonic at flash.net writes:
>
> >     Cindy Renfrow is on target about Wormwood and the virtue precaution
> >  in general with respect t
>
> True Absinthe is again available in Europe. The maladies attributed to
> indulgence in absinthe are amazingly similer to acute alcoholism, and the
> thujone content of wormwood is lower than that of the herb sage (it is more
> soluble in alcohol, but that does not neccesarily equate to significantly
> higher pickup n the body).

I am not familiar enough with pharmacology to comment on the aforementioned
information so i would recommend a better safe then sorry approach.

> There are many herbs that have not gotten the bad
> press that wormwood has, that are far worse (pennyroyal, to name one).

I am glad for the hint as i have seen pennyroyal in plenty of recipes and i was
wondering if i should make one.  Again, caution is the operative word so i
better find out more about it.  Anyone on the list toxicologist or herbalist?