hist-brewing: Sweet gale?

Spencer W. Thomas spencer at umich.edu
Mon Oct 23 08:32:06 PDT 2000

adam larsen wrote:

>     Myrica gale has been used commercially recent in the United States to
> produce a couple commercial ales with no apparent concern.  I understand that an
> American home brew magazine had a little article about gruits, using Myrica
> gale, and that plenty of  folks already made the drink based upon the recipe
> without concern.  In sweden and Norway it's called "Pors" and used in various
> distilled drinks with no concern.  I no nothing about wormwood other then that i
> am told it's  a good anti-bacterial agent so i can't comment.

Here is a copy of a posting I wrote in 1993 about bog myrtle / myrica gale / sweet
gale / pors, with some Norwegian "word of mouth" about beer made with the herb.
Remarks in [] are mine, as are (probably) any spelling or other transcription
errors.

Since I wrote this, I have found sweet gale *leaves* from various suppliers, and
this seems to be what is commonly used. A friend recently made a pumpkin ale spiced
with several ounces of sweet gale.  It had a strong "pine" like scent and flavor.  I
didn't drink enough to determine whether there was any other effect. :-)

=Spencer

Posting 1: Extracted from file:  1230