hist-brewing: Re: Sahti and Gottland Drinka - smoking and yeasts

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Tue Oct 17 18:07:32 PDT 2000

    Present day rokmalt is rather different from it's  traditional
forerunners in that it's a lighter color malt that uses only juniper for
smoking as  it costs less then the using Alder.  It also is far less
smoky then the  malt that was available for the same purpose prior to
the war.  This is not to say that it is a bad malt because it is
actually pretty good, just that it is not
well suited to making the older style malts used in the style as seen by
traditional rural maltsters.  I understand that Gottland folks use the
malt with great success for making the more contemporary versions of the
style so certainly you should give it a try if the modern hopped version
of the style is to your liking.
    I presume that you are in America and i imagine that the shipping
and customs charges would be rather high unfortunately.