hist-brewing: Smoked Malt for Sahti

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Mon Oct 16 14:04:29 PDT 2000

    Sahti is a rather diverse style that is quite hard to pin down in many respects.  In terms of what kind of  wood to use Alder is certainly the best from an aromatic stand point although i don't know how easy it is to get stateside. Some folks use juniper or birch which also works well.  I think that using Beech wood would be a poor idea because it would lend a very distinctive taste that can easily
dominate the flavor profile that is really not part of the style.  I say this because the smoke flavor should definitely be prominent yet not over powering, such a flavor characteristic is hard to achieve with modern German smoked malt (in Sahti and similar styles at least).
    In any case, i was wondering what kind of Sahti are you making? A modern hopped Sahti, "live", strong or old fashioned?  No matter what kind you make don't use bakers yeast as you'll regret it.  Let me know what kind you plan on doing and i'll give you some ideas.
    Oh, if your making a replica of commercial Sahti you'll need a different grist bill then the other versions.  Also, you should consider what regional variation you'll want because the herbs in the older versions differ depending upon where the recipe came from.
    If your interested in a very modern version of traditional Norwegian farm ale check out the following site -  http://members.ping.at/hhanghof/maltbeer.htm