hist-brewing: Brandy and fortified wines

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Fri Sep 22 06:30:36 PDT 2000

"David Murray" <davidmurray56 at hotmail.com> wrote

>The barrels, usually oak, allow the water molecule to get through but not
>the larger alcohol molecule.
>This is how the wine gets stronger.

It apparently is not as straight forward as this.  Climate seems to
have something to do with it, as in Scotland, whisky decreases in
alcoholic content as it ages, but in Kentucky, it increases!  No
doubt  humidity and temperature, and perhaps temperature swings, play
major roles.  Or perhaps it is that US whiskey is aged in new
barrels, which are then often used in Jerez for sherry, and then in
Scotland for Scotch.  But some Scotch is aged in bourbon barrels
without the intermediate stop for sherry.

"The Book of Classic American Whiskeys"  (1995) (a book with some
errors, unfortunately, but still a worthwhile reference) by Mark
Waymark and James Harris, says this (p. 69-70 - I have broken this
into smaller paragraphs for easier reading.  I really have to set up
my scanner for character recognition so I can stop keying this all in
manually):

"Not all that happens in the barrel is easily understandable.  For
example, the alcoholic strength is apt to change during the aging
process.  In the Scotch industry, the whisky, aged in Scotland, of
course, tends to lose alcoholic strength.  but in the American
whiskey industry, it tends to go the other way.  Especially in the
barrels located in the upper ricks of the open warehouses, the
alcoholic proof rises year by year.

"Now, why should this happen?  There seemed to be as many answers to
this question as people we asked it of.  One master distiller,
sucking air through his teeth when  we posed the question, suggested
what is known as the 'osmosis theory' - that the water molecules,
being smaller than alcohol, could more easily gain passage through
the oak, thus leaving the barrel at a greater rate than  the alcohol.

"A second distiller we asked tucked his hands under his best, gazed
off into the distance for a moment, and spun a delightful story about
how, as the barrels heated up in the hot summertime, the alcohol
would turn to vapor within the barrel and by the increasing pressure
exerted by the gases trapped within the barrel the water would be
squeezed out proportionately more rapidly than the alcohol.  (Maybe
it was the taste testing we had already done that day, but we had a
hard time following the rationale here.)

"Yet another hypothesis was that because it is hotter in Kentucky and
Tennessee than in Scotland, the heat favored the evaporation of water
over alcohol.  (That one really had us stumped.  Since the
evaporation point of alcohol is lower than that of water, wouldn't
you expect the alcohol to evaporate proportionally faster, thus
lowering the proof rather than raising it?)

"Yet another noted distiller suggested that the year-round humidity
of Scotland favored the proportionately greater evaporation rate of
alcohol there, whereas the relatively less humid climate of Kentucky
(especially in the upper floors of the warehouses in the hot summer
time) favors a relatively greater rate of evaporation for water.

"Finally, we asked this of a chemist involved in the industry,
expecting to be told the authoritative scientific opinion.  He pauses
a moment, bit his lower lip, and finally responded, "You know, I have
no idea.  I really can't explain it."

"Whatever the reason, that's how it works.

In an interesting experiment, [bourbon distillery] Maker's Mark,
which sells most of its used barrels to the Glenmorangie distillery
in Scotland, has been aging a barrel of Glenmorangie single-malt
Scotch in one of its warehouses in Kentucky.  A comparative taste
test of the outcome will be both amusing and instructive."

Does this make it any clearer?  I thought not.  I am sure there is an
answer, even if the industry chemist didn't know it.

Jeff
--
-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943