hist-brewing: RE:

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Fri Sep 22 00:35:33 PDT 2000

You could try measuring the specific gravity. If it's in the 900s then there
isn't *much* (note I didn't say ANY) chance of continuing fermentation.

or just leave it with an airlock on the maturing vessel (keep the water
topped up) for at least 2 years. periodically bring the mead into a warmer
area (say 20C) and if signs of fermentation are observed, leave it in the
warmer area to finish.

I find mead will continue to ferment until ALL the sugar is gone, leaving a
very dry drink. Sweeten just before you drink if you like it sweet.

Or you could use wine stabiliser which is supposed to kill the yeast (but
doesn't a lot of the time).

Or fortify with Brandy so the higher alcohol content (say 20%) kills the
yeast.

Kirsty