hist-brewing: Brandy and fortified wines

Donald Beistle dbeistle at arches.uga.edu
Thu Sep 21 16:34:43 PDT 2000

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Jeff Renner, quoting Lechine, wrote:

> "It [Amantillado] averages 18% of alcohol by volume, though with age
> it may reach 24% and 25%."

Jeff,

This phenomenon continues to puzzle me; I would expect the alcohol in a
wine to evaporate through the walls of a cask much more rapidly than the
rest of its component liquids. Boiling point lower than water = more
evaporation than water; more evaporation = reduced concentration.

Where does my reasoning go amiss here? Thanks in advance for the
clarification.

All best,

Don "Now you know why I majored in literature" Beistle