hist-brewing: Brandy

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 17:28:39 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/20/00 8:47:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
nerenner at umich.edu writes:

> from Lechine's Encyclopedia of Wines, page
>  438, "Sherry ... is a fortified wine, a wine to which grape brandy
>  has been added to bring the alcoholic content to approximately 15.5%
>  for the Finos and 18% for the Olorosos."

    Which brings up the question: if it is necessary to specify grape
brandy, what other kinds of brandy are there?  I don't know any.
    Also, is the difference in alcohol content a function of original
percent, or of losses over a longer aging process?
    Scotti