hist-brewing: Re: port

Jeff Renner nerenner at umich.edu
Mon Sep 18 08:26:22 PDT 2000

>I have a question.  I have never made port and I was asked about the making
>of this.  Of course, I am now interesting in the possibility of making a
>fortified wine.
>
>Any suggestions?

Port is made by fermenting red wine about halfway, then adding enough
brandy (distilled wine, not aged, fancy stuff) to bring the alcohol
to about 20% and stop fermentation.  It is then aged.  I imagine you
could use inexpensive high proof vodka or Everclear.

It would be appropriate to use a big red wine type of grape.  I still
have one bottle left of a half case of a really wonderful 1975
California Zinfandel port.

Jeff
--
-=-=-=-=-
Jeff Renner in Ann Arbor, Michigan USA, c/o nerenner at umich.edu
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943