hist-brewing: moon phases

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Mon Sep 4 14:34:22 PDT 2000

It's true that moon phases showed the passing of time and that printed
calendars
were uncommon in pre industrial times.  Actually our months were
traditionally
based upon 31 day cycles  prior to Chistianization.  Festivals here and
in other
parts of Europe were commonly associated with supposed lunar events that
were
latter adopted by The Church.  The best known examples are the Festival
of
Ostara (i.e. Easter) and 12 days of Yule (i.e. 12 days of Christmas)
both of
which were, traditionally associated with celestial events in general
and lunar
ones in particular.
    All this matters to brewing insofar as simple timing as suggested
below but
it also appeared to have had some religious association with beverages
that were
meant to be consumed at various occasions as dictated by custom.