hist-brewing: Moon Phases

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Sun Sep 3 11:30:44 PDT 2000

    In general the references that you are most likely referring to are
cultic/relgious in nature and are representative of pre-christian notions
co-opted/adopted by The Church.
    In my little corner of the world for example one is recommended to undertake
final casking or bottling of a wedding mead on Merrymoon (May 27th) after a
performing a Friggablot for use the following year .  Another example is that
custom dictates that Strong Ales should be cask/bottled the day after the Feast
of Vali during the month of Horning (i.e. February 14th) for consumption on the
festival Freyfaxi (28th of August).  In each of these examples the first
celebration supposedly happened during an unusual celestial event involving the
moon.  Specifically, an eclipse in the frist instance, a full and absent moon in
the case of the second and third example respectively.
    Unfortunately, any supposed benefit from such practices has lapsed into
hopeless obscurity.