hist-brewing: Milk Fermentation

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Sat Sep 2 19:28:24 PDT 2000

    Within the Mongoloid tradition the use of milk/cream was used to produce
moderately alcoholic beverages served young and flat.  The flavors were a
combination of sour & sweet with fat and unfermented sugars providing extra
caloric content.  Personally, i find the taste truly repellent.
    In Western and Northern Europa the use of dairy products were part of meads,
ales and braggots added residual sweetness and helped save sour ales.  They also
provide a added complexity that i am unable specify due to my chemical ignorance.

    I plan on putting up a recipe for a cream mead as soon as i feel a bit
better.