hist-brewing: bottles

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Mon Aug 28 15:06:21 PDT 2000

I don't know to what extent plain clear glass blocks UV, although I
know to get really good UV tramsmission, you need quartz.  Empiracally,
I know that you don't get a significant tan no matter how long you sit
near a plain glass (untinted) window.  This is really just an aside.
Both Scott and I agree that your hop-containing beverages can get
light struck from more than just UV.  Mind you, incandecent is better
for your beer than fluorescent, partly because of energy levels and also
partly because of spectrum (incandecent leans towards the red end and
common fluorescent towards the green).  Sunlight indeed is the worst
both in terms of spectrum and energy.

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, Illinois, USA
korz at brewinfo.org