hist-brewing: sanitising corks

BrewInfo brewinfo at xnet.com
Sun Aug 27 10:08:30 PDT 2000

Someone (sorry) posted on soaking corks in bleach.  I would recommend
against that because the cork can soak up a bit of the bleach and muck
up your beverage.

I soak my corks in boiling water (I put a weight on them to keep them
submerged).  I thought about this a long time and I believe that boiling
water is probably the best sanitizer for corks.  It also has the benefit
of softening the cork and making it easier to push though the corker
(which hopefully you have sanitised too!).

Al.

Al Korzonas, Lockport, Illinois, USA
korz at brewinfo.org
http://www.brewinfo.org/brewinfo/