hist-brewing: bottles

Kirsty Pollock kirsty.pollock at mpuk.com
Thu Aug 24 02:32:51 PDT 2000

They seal perfectly well and the colour of the container has nothing to do
with the 'bittering' (As far as I know). That's achieved by the bittering
agents added at brewing time. You do want to keep them in a dark place for
maturing (after the intital couple of weeks to let the secondary
fermentation in the bottle happen) if the bottles are clear, but I do that
with all of my beers irregardless of container colour.

I find beer tastes best when fermented at no more than 18C - my summer made
brews don't seem to have the same depth of flavour. Maturing-wise anything
below 12-13 C and above 3C seems fine.

KP