hist-brewing: corks

Baden,Doug baden at oclc.org
Tue Aug 22 08:53:10 PDT 2000

Steve:
Just boil them for at least 5 minutes (more like 10), then take them out of
the water and immediately cork the bottles.  This softens the cork also so
the compression does less damage to the cork.  I have never had problems
with my corks when I do this.

I would not use bleach on these.  It damages the cork and the chlorine
residue gets into the bottle, messing with the product.

Doug/Arundel