hist-brewing: odd mead

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Tue Aug 22 08:47:36 PDT 2000

Mario,

First some advice on preventing this from happening again.  It sounds like you have two problems, 1) unwanted carbonation, 2) yeast flavors you do not care for.

The first problem is because you bottled before the fermentation was completed, a common mistake.  To prevent this from occuring you can either leave the mead in the fermenter for a longer period of time to let it complete, or take steos to ensure a quicker fermentation.  To speed up the fermentation you can 1) make sure you pitch enough yeast.  Some people argue that under pitching the yeast will give you better results.  I strongly disagree w/ this approach (experiment currently under way), but it works for some people so if you want, you can.  Otherwise I would recommend either making a starter, or using as many as 1 packets of dry yeast per gallon and be sure to rehydrate following the directions on the packet.  2) make sure you have enough nutrients.  If you are making a mead without additional nutrient sources such as malt or fruit you may want to add nutrient, I use yeast hulls and a tablespoon of malt extract per gallon, there are other nutrients available, but be carefull not to add to much or you may end up with off flavors that take a long time to age out.  3) buffer your must with chalk from the brew shop, I have been doing this for a couple years now and it really helps.

For the second problem, you may want to experiment with using different yeasts in the future.  check out the Great Mead Yeast Survey for some peoples opinions of diiferent mead yeasts, it is at http://sca_brew.homestead.com/files/meadyeast.html

As far as what you can do to save this yeast.  You did not say how ald the mead is.  For a mead with champaign yeast it may take a year, or as long as 2 years for the mead to really mellow out, it could still turn out to be an excellent mead.  The other thing you can do is to let the mead breath.  This does wonders for both my young meads that I am too impatient to wait on and my meads that have accidently carbonated in the past.  I simply poor my glass and set it aside for a while.

Good Luck,

Nate
(Nathi)

>>> Mario Garcia <batty1of3 at yahoo.com> 08/22/00 09:23AM >>>
Me and my friends made a batch of mead and we ended up
with a rather strong mead however it is lightly
sparkling and we ended up with soo much sediment in
the bottles it's almost undrinkable is ther anything
that we can do to fix it or is the batch a loss ?? we
think it was the champange yeast that made it sparking
and have the bitter kick to it.  Any suggestions would
be great thanks

Mario

owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com