hist-brewing: healing beers

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Wed Aug 16 14:56:45 PDT 2000

    I for one don't feel offended and i doubt that any others on the
list would consider them selves as such.  Rather, i just disagree with
the new age approach to brewing.  If you enjoy the recipes listed in
Healing Beers then certainly that is a good thing.
    It should bear mentioning however that for ales meant simply for
enjoyment or sustenance far better and more reliable methods can be
found in the living brewing traditions of various parts of the world.
Latvian, Baltic and Nordic traditions use the herbs you mentioned as
well as many others and when properly made produce a well balanced and
nutrient rich beverage that would never meet the purity laws of German
or Albion.  In terms of history, throughout all of Europa and the
Americas one can find numerous exotic and fine unhopped ales and other
curious beverages.
Plenty of fine information in this subject can be found within the
archives of this list.
    In terms of the curative powers of ales, real and imagined, one
could identify several vintage recipes from numerous sources.  Explicit
sources with reliable brewing information are rather rare but as a
starting point i would recommend T.C. Winculth's "Brewing Health
Fortifying Ales"  which was originally published back in c. 1656 and was
reissued in 1970 so you should keep an eye out for it in book scout
catalogs.   If i can dig up my note book on the subject i'll fire off an
example.

It gives my great pleasure to announce that i have found an American
source for Wood Sage which is reasonably priced at nine dollars per
pound!  The company is called DAAN  and can be reached at  877 322 6l68
(ask for Susan).  Wood sage is an excellent hop surrogate which has a
pleasant aroma to boot.  It's pretty common in the Baltic's and Germany
and not medicinal like "berghopfen" and cheaper by far.  You ought to
used it as a tea in conjunction with centaury, comfrey, yarrow and/or
Elecampane.