hist-brewing: healing beers

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Tue Aug 15 10:27:52 PDT 2000

    I have had the misfortune to go through the book mentioned below and
simply can't recommend it for folks interested in making historical
ales.  The author recommends the use of  a couple of  herbs that are
dangerous and obviously has a poor understanding of the chemistry
involved in  brewing and malting.  He writes not from the perspective of
a antiquarian researcher but rather a new age herbalist.  Although i
have not attempted to make any of his recipes several appear at first
blush to be rather poorly conceived.
    A fine writer belongs to this list named Cindy Renfrow who has
written some of the finest material available on historical brewing.
Her web site is: www.thousandeggs.com.  Another good source for
information is the archives of this list.