hist-brewing: Quick Question.

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at COMPAQ.com
Mon Aug 14 15:58:21 PDT 2000

While I have never used them myself I have had people share homebrews with
me that they put in screw tops.  Screw tops are generally not suggested for
reuse by a home capper but I have known people who have used them
successfully.

I have also seen people who have not used them successfully and have been
unable to get them to seal well and therefore come up with flat or spoiled
beer. I have heard complaints that they break around the lip more easily
since they are intended to be thrown away.

For myself when I have been desperate for bottles I have never had any
trouble with finding a liquor store that would sell me a case or two of
returns for the price of the deposit.  Not only do ya get good heavy bottles
but ya also get a case box to store and carry them in.

Regards,

Scott Mills