hist-brewing: Lactose

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sat Jul 29 17:27:54 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/28/00 6:35:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
scabrewer at juno.com writes:

> Allow me to apologize for disinformation.  Lactose (milk sugar), while
>  contributing to mouthfeel and body due to its unfermentable nature, has
>  little effect on foam retention, as I stated in an earlier post.
>  Somewhere between Organic RAM and typing fingers, I substituted "oats"
>  for "lactose."  Silly brewer; no cookie.  ;-)

    Run that by me again?  What do the oats do?  I'm assuming you
mean flaked oats, as in oatmeal stout.
    BTW, I've been making an oat *malt* stout lately, and oat malt
smoothes out the flavor, but seems to have no other effect.  I'm planning
to add some flaked oats next time, for mouthfeel.
    Scotti