hist-brewing: Lactose

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Fri Jul 28 18:29:09 PDT 2000

Shawn:

>From Lehninger, *Principles of Biochemistry*, the table goes (I assume by
mass, since no units are indicated) relative to sucrose:

Sucrose    1.0
Glucose    0.5
Fructose    1.7
Lactose    0.2
Saccharin    400.
Sodium cyclamate    30
Aspartame    180
Monellin    2000

The last one is a protein from the African serendipity plant.

I checked the specific gravity of 10% solutions of lactose, glucose and
sucrose, and it takes more than 3 decimal places to notice the difference,
so ignore it.  The place to find good SG data (and other physical
properties) for solutions of interest to brewers is the *Handbook of
Chemistry and Physics* a.k.a. the CRC Handbook.  You have to find a copy
from the 60s or 70s since they've taken all of the best stuff out of the
modern editions.

If you use Lactose to produce a fizzy sweet drink, be aware that:
- the calculation based on tasting trials with sucrose or glucose works,
more or less,
- boil your lactose addition well since even if the yeast don't want it,
some bacterium (lactobacillus?) will,
- it takes quite a lot of aging (6 mo. for cider) to get rid of the strange
taste you will notice,
- enough lactose to create noticeable sweetness packs a lot of calories
- high concentrations of lactose will reduce the solubility of CO2 -
resulting in a LOT more pressure from your priming sugar.  That's how I
produced the only bottle bomb out of about 6000 bottles.

As a beer addition, it will mainly contribute a sweetish body and calories.
Lots of calories.

I hope that answers your questions.  Have fun!

Sean