hist-brewing: Lactose in mead?

Robert P Davis scabrewer at juno.com
Mon Jul 24 16:02:46 PDT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 13:14:54 -0600 (MDT) Ann Sasahara <ariann at nmia.com>
writes:
>On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Chris Peters wrote:
> Actually the lactose used in most stouts is for a creamier head. I
>don't believe it will work in a meade. It will probably turn out
>cloudy. Give it a try and tell us
> what happens! (may try this myself, my curiosity is aroused!)

[cordial advice snipped]

Lactose is unfermentable, at least by saccharomyces cerevisae, and is
used in such beers as "milk" stouts to improve mouthfeel and head
retention.  There is no reason of which I am aware that the addition of
pure brewer's lactose, which should be available at a reasonably
well-equipped homebrew shop, should cloud your mead, since such
cloudiness is most often a product of proteins and non-flocculent yeast.
It will raise the gravity somewhat and smooth out the mouthfeel.

Let us know what you find!

Pax

	-Bob Davis, brewer.