hist-brewing: Re: Gruit -- Corrected Copy

NATHAN T Moore NTMOORE at SMTPGATE.DPHE.STATE.CO.US
Mon Jul 24 10:12:49 PDT 2000

Here are a few lists, someone should compile a comprehensive one and put it on the web, and make it interactive so additional info could be added, I would but I already have too many projects going:

Stefan's Florilegium - beer-msg, do a searcg for gruit, the first one you find look at that post and it has a list.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/BEVERAGES/beer-msg.html

Here is a list from Adam Larson in the hist-brewing archives:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/hist-brewing/archive/2185.html
also, if you do a search through those archives you will find more info.

Finnaly, if you can find a copy, Penee's book has a list
La Pensee, C.: "The Craft of House-Brewing", 1996, 160 Seiten, ISBN 0 9515685 6 6

Nate

>>> <PBLoomis at aol.com> 07/24/00 10:28AM >>>
    Can anybody help this guy?

In a message dated 7/21/00 8:17:01 AM Central Daylight Time,
baronfin at datasync.com forwards this message from mkmarcus at naxs.net :

> I've been looking for a =
>  gruit ingredients list and not been able track one down.  I've found =
>  many obscure references to the bitter herbs and it seems to be mostly =
>  consisting of sage and colts foot.  Have you ever run across any info. =
>  that includes a list?
>  Thanks
>  Connar

    I don't know a lot about gruits, have not made a gruit ale yet.  Will try
my first after I get back from Pennsic and Worldcon.
    Gruit herbs I know of include alehoof, costmary, marsh mallow, and
yarrow.  As is to be expected, some gruit herbs are for bacteria control,
and some are for flavor, just as some hop varieties are better for one and
some for the other.
    Recommend you sign up with owner-hist-brewing at rt.com, and
prowl thru the archives.  There have been several threads on gruit.
    In joy and service,
    Scotti

owner-hist-brewing at pbm.com