hist-brewing: Champagne Yeast Re: hist-brewing-digest V1 #649

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Fri Jul 21 14:13:08 PDT 2000

There are several strains of "Champagne Yeast" just as there are many wine
and beer strains.  They are all related from the old days, but have evolved
into separate strains with individual fermentation and flavor characteristics
as they were used by individual breweries.  Each brewery develops a house
characteristic and so the various strains reflect these different tastes.
Red Star is probably the most commonly available yeast, but there are several
other manufactories available from suppliers.  Look for Lalvin, Lallemand,
Gist-brocades, Wyeast, and White Labs.  My apologies for others that I may
have left out since this is being written off the top of my head and not
meant to be a definitive list.  There are other sources for a more
comprehensive list of yeasts and characteristics.
Red Star Pasteur Champagne  I have found to have a very high alcohol
tolerance and makes a very neutral flavor and aroma.  It can make the mead
seem dry and austere without much honey flavor.
Red Star Premier Cuvee-formerly known as Prise de Mousse  I have found to be
fairly alcohol tolerant, but not as high as Pasteur.  It is more fruity and
sometimes will leave a citrus like aroma, particularly if you add acid blend.
 It will allow the honey variatal aroma to come thru as well.
Red Star Cote des Blancs-formerly known as Epernay II  I have found to be the
least alcohol tolerant.  It is very slow fermenting and can quit when still
very sweet and in the 20 to 40 range.  It imparts a very fruity, sweet aroma
while leaving unfermented residual honey sweetness.

Look at some commercial Champagnes and see where they are made.  Quite often
the area and region in France will be shown.  I've had some Champagne from
Epernay that was unmistakable in it's yeast signature.  Many Champagnes taste
very dry.  Is this what you want in your mead?  Otherwise, experiment with
other wine yeast strains.
Try brewing a large batch and splitting it between several fermentors.  Pitch
each of the yeast strains and see what happens.  You'll be amazed at the
differences between the "same" mead being fermented by each strain.
Bob Grossman
<