hist-brewing: Fruity yeast

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Thu Jul 20 21:19:27 PDT 2000

Belgium yeast's are very high alcohol and ester producers.  Esters will give
off the aromas of various fruits and other fermentation byproducts, but I
don't think that this is quite what you want in a fruit mead because you
mainly want the aroma of the fruit which is being fermented.  Also, the
higher in alcohol and less sweet the mead becomes, the harder it becomes to
taste the fruit. We perceive the sugar or sweetness in the fruit as much of
it's flavor.  Once all the sweetness is fermented out, the mead becomes
alcoholic and dry so the fruit blends into the overall character of the mead.
I would suggest Wyeast 1056 "Chico" as a very mead friendly yeast.  It takes
my melomel with OG's in the 90's down to an average FG of 15 to 25.  This
seems to be a nice balance in a fruit mead.  If I use a wine or Champagne
yeast, the FG will be 0 and most of my friends and judges don't like that dry
of a mead.  I've never been able to win a contest with a dry mead if that
matters to you.  I recently won the Gold in the AHA Nationals with an
Elderberry Mead made with Chico.
<<
 Several people have suggested trying an ale yeast. One person has
 specifically suggested Belgian. What other ale yeast's would be good to
 consider for a fruity mead?

 Thanks! >>