hist-brewing: Lactose in mead?

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Wed Jul 19 16:42:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/18/00 3:20:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ariann at nmia.com
writes:

Thanks to everyone for the responses to my questions! I have decided that I
am going to try two methods. I am going to make a batch of peach mead and add
lactose to it and see what happens, and I am also going to make a batch and
try adding milk or cream to it when it is done.

I'm not too sure about the second method, though. My thought is that the
cream will curdle rather then blend smoothly...

Also......I have no idea how much lactose to add....I want to do a one gallon
batch, and I am leaning towards having about three pounds of honey. I think
that this would come out better with a less alcoholic mead than a higher
alcoholic mead. The lactose should add some sweetness so I am hoping that it
doesn't ferment out too dry.....

Several people have suggested trying an ale yeast. One person has
specifically suggested Belgian. What other ale yeast's would be good to
consider for a fruity mead?

Thanks!

Dawn