hist-brewing: Smell in new Ale

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Wed Jul 19 15:34:04 PDT 2000

Sulphurous smells are usually blamed on excessively cool fermenting
temperature, although many lager yeasts get pretty stinky before the
lagering stage.

I suspect that it's more to do with the spectrum of available amino acids in
the brew and the carbon/nitrogen (i.e. sugar/amino acids) ratio.

You could try fermenting 5 degrees F warmer to see if it compensates for the
different conditions, although that will have other flavour effects, not
necessarily bad ones.

Sean