hist-brewing: Mead and Fining / Filtering

m_shapiro at bigfoot.com m_shapiro at bigfoot.com
Wed Jul 19 14:21:55 PDT 2000

Leland,

I have used bentonite, before, with reasonable success.  I don't use it, or any
other finings, on a regular basis, however.  I am a firm believer in letting
time do its thing.  I would prefer to rack the wine a few extra times over a
period of several months, than to use any finings at all.  I only use finings
when I have given up ALL hope of a wine, or mead, EVER clarifying on it's own.
And I never call a wine done until it is CLEAR.  If it is a mead, or a light
fruit wine, then I like to be able to read a newspaper through a gallon jug of
it, certainly though a clear bottle, so my standards are high and I rarely have
to resort to finings.

HTH

Wassail!

On 19-Jul-00 Leland Predon wrote:
> Hey there.... Wondering which (if any) experiences you have had with finings
> in mead making. Which have you found to be most effective?
>
> Also, has anyone ever filtered mead? I am considering it.... depends on how
> well the fining goes..

Marc Shapiro                                              m_shapiro at bigfoot.com
                              Visit 'The Meadery' at:
                      http://www.bigfoot.com/~m_shapiro/

"If you drink melomel every day, you will live to be 150 years old,
unless your wife shoots you."
-- Dr. Ferenc Androczi, Winemaker of the Little Hungary Farm Winery