hist-brewing: Smell in new Ale

Eric A. Rhude ateno at panix.com
Wed Jul 19 06:23:40 PDT 2000

Hello all:

I have been making early ale for about 5 years now.

i.e. boiling water ladeled on to grain on 4 oz portions, and
to sit for a couple hours, drain, cool and yeast.

Anyway there is always a sulferous smell when the
yeast and malt as floucatting (sp?) early in the
fermentation process.  And it disappears and
becomes 'Goog Fyne Ale' in a couple days.

This smell is not present when I brew in the 20th cent method.

Anyone out there learned enough to enlighten me on the reason?

Eric Rhude

--
QVI CONVERTERIET HAEC IMMODICE LITTERATVS EST