hist-brewing: Sweetening meads and hydrometer questions

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Sun Jul 16 13:44:33 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/14/00 9:23:52 AM Central Daylight Time,
WyteRayven at aol.com writes:

> In talking to them, it seems that the mead is
>  fine, but I just don't care for the taste that the champagne yeast
imparts,
> so
>  I will be searching for a yeast that I like.
>
>  For me this is a major break through. I have poured so many batches down
the
>  drain thinking that I was doing something wrong, or that I had some sort of
>  infection that kept happening

    Wonderful!  Champagne yeast is supposed to add little or no flavor
of it's own, but obviously some taste buds are more discriminating than
others.  I've been using Wyeast's "Dry Mead" and it seems to speak to
my taste buds, but I'll be interested to hear what you settle on.
    Let us know,
    Scotti