hist-brewing: Sweetening meads and hydrometer questions

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Fri Jul 14 07:19:42 PDT 2000

I want to thank everyone who responded to my questions about hydrometer
readings, and how to sweeten meads.

It is making a lot more sense! I should be able to start getting more
accurate readings.

I am pretty new at this.

I just entered a competition in the SCA in June. I really didnt think the
mead that I made would do very well. Actually, I simply entered it to get
feed back and was going to dump the batch when I got home.

The recipe was for a small mead that I got out of "Sir Kenelme Digbie's
Closet Opened" I used champagne yeast and during the week after I started it
the temperatures soared to 110. I tasted it when I racked it, and absolutely
hated it. It had a very bitter undertone. I sweetened it up and put it in a
bottle and entered it in the competition anyway, and specifically stated that
I was having trouble with my meads, and any feedback on how to improve (and
get rid of that taste!) that I could get from the judges would be welcome.

Well, when I went back to talk to them I was very surprised. The mead got
very high marks! Im not sure how it placed, I forgot to ask. I was shocked
over the marks it recieved. In talking to them, it seems that the mead is
fine, but I just dont care for the taste that the champagne yeast imparts, so
I will be searching for a yeast that I like.

For me this is a major break through. I have poured so many batches down the
drain thinking that I was doing something wrong, or that I had some sort of
infection that kept happening. I was sternly told to stop dumping my batches,
and if I was unsure of it then bring some and ask about it. <G>

Thanks again for all of the wonderful responses!

Dawn