hist-brewing: Lady of Clare ale

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 09:54:18 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/6/00 10:09:53 PM Central Daylight Time,
euphonic at flash.net writes:

> Thanks for the information.  What kind of mash did you use?  I assume that
> such an ale was drunk live and would not keep well.  What was the flavor
profile
> like?

    I'm kind of primitive, since I assume that any recipe our ancestors made
had to be rather robust to do well with the inherent limitations of their
quality
control methods.
    I did a simple single infusion mash at about 155 deg F (68 deg C ??),
with sparge at 180 deg F (82 deg C).  In period (AD1343), it supposedly
would have been a double infusion, fermented separately and consumed
by high and low tables respectively.
    I had some trouble with it at first, since active yeasts give me
esophageal allergies.  Fortunately, it kept very well in the keg, which I
purged with CO2,
and was still very good after a month sitting in my kitchen at about 70 F.
    In joy and service,
    Scotti