hist-brewing: Ground Ivy

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Fri Jul 7 09:54:16 PDT 2000

In a message dated 7/6/00 10:07:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
euphonic at flash.net writes:

>  Ground ivy is also known as Alehoof, creeping jenny or Glechoma Hederacea.
>  It was quite popular throughout the 1500's in Wales particularly and Gerard
>  claims "that strengthens and cleanses ale and drinker" if your looking for
> those qualities in your gruit you know what to do.

    Great!  Jazzbo Bob had overflow production on his alehoof, and is
shipping me some.  Since I'm new to gruits, what would you recommend
I do with it?  Do I boil it like hops?  What other gruit herbs/roots work
well with it?  How much of each for a 5-gallon batch?
    My great ignorance is exceeded only by my desire to learn.
    Scotti