hist-brewing: Orange Balm, Buckbean, Ground Ivy

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Thu Jul 6 09:18:59 PDT 2000

    I was mistaken in my copying of  our notes regarding the recipe which should have said lemon rather then orange.  However, their is such a thing as orange balm and several recipes call for it that i have not posted.  Although it's a great low key bitter spice with a pleasant aroma as the stuff costs 46 dollars a
pound!
    Ground Ivy is typically more common in ales from the British Isles while Bog Bean is more often used in Northern Europe.  Certainly their are several exceptions but as a general rule of thumb the notion is true.  The two really are not interchangeable in so far as flavor and aroma goes,  although they are both
excellent bittering agents, the taste in one's finished ale is likely to be rather different.