hist-brewing: odds & sods

Donald Beistle dbeistle at arches.uga.edu
Thu Jul 6 06:33:54 PDT 2000

Germander, _Teucrium Chamaedrys_

There are as many as 100 varieties of this perennial. TC is slender
with four-sided, mintlike, hairy stems that trail the ground, then rise.
Leaves are opposed, oval or wedge-shaped, veined, bright green above and
paler on the underside, with serrated edges tending toward small lobes; on
short leafstalks; leaves at very top of plant are actually bracts and have
smooth, uninterrupted margins.

Naturalized in N America and Europe; cultivated throughout temperate zone.

In earlier times the sprightly, garliclike aroma of germander leaves made
it useful as a room freshener and as a part of wreaths. It was used as a
substitute for hops in beer. Its uses as a low (2 ft.) hedge and
ornamental plant continue to this day.

	adapted from _Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs_

Unfortunately, I cannot find "germander" in any of my modern or medieval
dictionaries of English, French, German or Norse. The OED should
have an etymology for germander, and that might give some clue
as to what it might be known as in Northern Europe. I can't call up the
online OED from my present location, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Hope this helps. And many, many thanks for your excellent posts, Adam!

Be well and brew good beer.

Don Beistle
Athens, GA