hist-brewing: Sweet Beers

JazzboBob at aol.com JazzboBob at aol.com
Thu Jun 29 22:12:05 PDT 2000

If you want a stronger alcoholic beer that remains light in taste and body,
you need to boost the overall fermentables with a sugar source that is highly
fermentable and doesn't leave behind complex carbohydrates that are
unfermentable and sweet.  Simply use an extra pound or two of corn sugar also
called dextrose.  You can substitute honey or table sugar with the same high
fermantation effect but with a different taste.
It sounds to me like you are getting poor fermentations with high terminal
gravities.  Get back to good basic brewing techniques and ingredients, use a
high quality yeast with a known high attenuation, oxyengenate and ferment it
cool to avoid fusels and off flavors, and enjoy your beer.  Remember that
many commercial American beers are made with 40 % adjuncts and that is why
they have minimal malt flavor and body.  Use a higher sugar ratio to malt if
that's the flavor profile you are looking for.  Forget about the
complications of Potatoes in beer brewing.  The commercial guys would be
doing it if it was possible and profitable.  I can't remember ever seeing a
Potato Beer for sale at my local.
Besides, it's quite the opposite taste of my all malt Barley Wines and
Historic Ales.
Bob Grossman

<< To those of you whom I incensed with my request for information on how to
 increase the alcohal content in my summer beer by using potatoes, please be
 advised that I have used honey and other sweetners and I am getting tired of
 drinking sweet beer that doesn't tast like a regular beer. >>