hist-brewing: gotlandsdricka and Vivungs

adam larsen euphonic at flash.net
Tue Jun 27 09:17:07 PDT 2000

    I became overly worked up over the dangers at issue and made  a poor
choice of tags in my haste.  This was a result of having  seen one coma
and several other nasty episodes as a result of the
herbs in question being used in home-brew. My fears were exacerbated by
the prospect of over a dozen similar instances happening needlessly.
    By modern i mean that the variation upon the style in question as
having had it's earliest known origins after the on set of the
industrial revolution.  I wrote quite a bit on the subject of
various variations within the style recently so i guess i should refer
you the archives rather then go over it again.  I have had others do
quite a bit of research on the history of style so if your
interested i could provide a little back ground for you.  I hesitate to
post such information as i fear it may be to remote for a significant
segment of the reading population.  Also, the time
involved in getting it to my computer may be rather long.
    Basically, i prefer the older versions of the style to Vivung's take
on the genre.  But i think that it was great that they made such a
specialized beverage nonetheless.  Vivung made a soda,
i.e. a  highly carbonated and unfermented, version of the style that
they called "ojast Gottlandsdricka"  which i was partial to. I gave a
little more information about the soda in my last post on
the subject.   Folkol was a great drink that i enjoyed but it is quite
different then the early take on the styles
    Hopefully i have been of some help.