hist-brewing: Mead Sweetness

Karen Olson kaolson3 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 23 09:13:07 PDT 2000

Since the question on sweetening is answered I will throw in my 2 cents on
the future meads.  In general,:
         2 1/2 lbs will get you a bone dry mead.
         3-31/2 lbs. will get you a litely sweet mead( my prefered type)
         4-5lbs. a very sweet mead.

Please note that this is very general and to my taste there is a range
between 31/2-4 lbs that I don't generally work with so....

As for the one that doesn't appear to be fermenting, what's your SG, Acid
level ect.  I can tell you right off that meads are nutrient deficent, and
the water does not help any.  Also what yeast did you add, some are better
than others.

hope this helps some.

Caitriona