hist-brewing: alcohol w/potatoes

Sean Richens srichens at sprint.ca
Wed Jun 21 16:37:34 PDT 2000

Champagne yeast, that's a good idea.  EC1118 is great, especially if you
grow it up in a starter and pitch the cake the day it settles out - hungry
but not yet dormant.  I got a 20% mead that way.

But we are getting away from the original question.  I think someone wanted
to make a 6-7% beer with a 5% flavour.  My only question, really, is "why?".
Beer is supposed to be about 3-5% alcohol and guzzled except for the odd
high-nutrition Trappist or Old Ale.

But if you insist, boost the bittering hops just a tad to cover the
sweetness of the alcohol.

Sean