hist-brewing: alcohol w/potatoes

PBLoomis at aol.com PBLoomis at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 10:59:04 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/20/00 10:58:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
CorwynWdwd at aol.com writes:

> Of course, if you increase the alcohol content you'll
>  effect the taste of the brew. The main problem will be the yeast
themselves.
>  Does anybody know of a high alcohol tolerant beer or ale yeast?

    Beer and ale yeasts are generally more alcohol tolerant than
we think, so one might try just adding corn sugar to the secondary.
    Another possibility, if that didn't work, would be to re-pitch the
already corn-sugared beer with champagne yeast.  Champagne
yeasts are quite alcohol tolerant, and supposedly add little flavor
of their own.
    Scotti