hist-brewing: Herbs and no hops

Sarah Wakely sarahbrew at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 21 17:07:04 PDT 2000

Hello all,
Firstly, apologies because I think the subject of this post has already been
covered – but I'm a newbie and a little bit confused – I'm hoping someone
can help clarify things!
Basically, I've made medieval style ale in the past (ie no hops), but it's
never been very nice. So I'd like to try adding herbs to make it taste
better. My question is: at what stage in the process do I add them? And do I
leave them in there, or strain them off? Finally, I've heard that you can
use marshmallow to add taste – I have some marshmallow leaves. Are these
suitable, or should I use root instead?
Sorry if this has already been covered – like I say, I'm just confused!
Thanks
Sarah