hist-brewing: Converting Corn and Potatoes

Bob Skilnik toddlintown at mediaone.net
Wed Jun 21 08:45:50 PDT 2000

As I discuss in my recent book, The History of Beer
and Brewing in Chicago, 1833-1978, the use of adjuncts
such as corn and rice
(gelatinized and flaked, it was called Cerealina) was a
result of the unfolding practice of bottling beer. Prior to
the use of clear glass for bottling and drinking vessels,
six-row malted barley was used as is,
that is, without adjuncts. Drinking draft beer from
a non-see through stein, no one questioned the
clarity of the beer...
freshness and availability were its most admired attributes.

The initial use of adjuncts in American beer corresponded
with the move towards a more portable product, bottled beer.
In the years slightly before the entrance by the U.S. into
WWI, grain restrictions forced the hands of American brewers
to reformulate their brews once again with more adjunts
to abide by these wartime grain restrictions.

After National Prohibition, brews were once again lightened
in character and sweetened in taste as brewers tried to not
only win over a new market of beer drinking women, but also
to accomodate those Prohibition-era drinkers that had become
so accustomed to bathtub gin and cheap Scotch that had been
mixed with sweet mixers such as cola and ginger ale.

So as you can see, there has been an evolution of American
beer
towards the product that is offered today.

If you'd like a real pre-Proh beer formula, contact the
Chicago Historical Society. The papers of E.J. Siebel are
here with some interesting beer recipes included or
send me a SASE envelope. I'll send a copy out to you.

Bob Skilnik
Chicago Beer History
P.O. Box 793
Plainfield, IL 60544
www.chicagobeerhistory.com

--
Tour Capone's Chicago breweries. Come to
www.chicagobeerhistory.com/ChicagoBeerTours.htm and join our