hist-brewing: alcohol w/potatoes

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue Jun 20 20:55:16 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/20/2000 3:23:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
smcdaniel at pru-nw.com writes:

> I have
>  heard you can use potatoes to increase the alcohol content but I have no
>  idea how to do it or how much to use. Can anyone help?

Wellllllll, I'm not an expert, but I'd think you'd have to convert the
starches to sugars first, which means refrigeration for a while. Experience
teaches me a chilled potato tends to convert to sugar fairly well. Of course,
that will also influence the taste.

They DO sell corn sugar specifically to feed yeasts and not increase the
sweetness perceptibly. Of course, if you increase the alcohol content you'll
effect the taste of the brew. The main problem will be the yeast themselves.
Does anybody know of a high alcohol tolerant beer or ale yeast? I don't, but
then, I do still meads mostly.

Corwyn