Randy Mosher rmosher at 21stcentury.net
Fri Jun 16 14:23:14 PDT 2000

> - -    The English appear to have had several odd malts that i am hoping
> the readership could help me find information about: Blown, Snap &
> Billows.
> - - Finally, i have recently found out about what seems to be the oldest
> reference to the oldest Porter recipe i know of (1758) and has plenty of
> odd things in it (Spanish juice, iceland moss & Ginger).  I don't know
> if it's any good as i have yet to make it.  If  their is any interest
> out their i'll post it.

Blown malt is a type of torrefied brown malt once used to make porter. It was
traditionally roasted over very hot (500F) oak or hornebeam fires to a coppery brown
color. Quick heating made it swell like puffed wheat. Color range is 75-150 L,
compare to chocolate at 300-450. Rich, roasty toasty flavor, great to brew with.

As for snap, I've heard the term, and my hunch is that it’s another term for
brown/blown. Early (1700-1820) brewers just mention three malt colors: pale, amber
(35-50 L) and brown/blown. Black malt was invented in 1820, and gradually displaced
brown and amber for economic reasons. What is the date of your sources?

Brown is again being made by at least one English maltster (Beeston?), and something
resembling amber can be had from Breiss (victory) and DeWulf Cosyns (Biscuit).

Both can be made in the home oven or barbecue, which is a lot of fun to do.

Spanish juice is Licorice, the tarry, boiled-down form sold in sticks at homebrew
shops.

--randy Mosher